Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why I chose Windows 32-bit over 64-bit

First off... alot of people would say Windows 64-bit is better than 32-bit, b*llshit! Don't ever listen to them till you've tried out both yourself.

Here's a witness to the things that happened when I was using 64-bit for a period of 1 year:

1. many drivers caused blue screen when in used with Win 64. Most common was keyboard, audio, graphics, and network. How I know? I sense it e.g. when repairing network connection, the computer crashes! (you could know more by installing Microsoft's Debugging tool - which I gave up as I even had issues downloading it from Microsoft site! - around 500MB or so for the whole thing -_-)

2. Sudden BSOD crashes, especially when I started browsing FB heavily using either Firefox or Chrome. I notice starting Adobe Flash apps in the web (mostly FB games and photos will use this) will cause BSOD very easily during the intial startup.

3. The blue screen was so frequent, there was several times it caused my Windows  to actually run start-up repair due to corrupting the start up files. Other occasions were causing bad sectors to my hard disk. Luckily I had a program in hand to clean such bad sectors.
4. It was slower than the 32-bit, due to the fact 64-bit programs had higher encryption, security, which also means a longer code to create and produce an app. As written here:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709#toc4
"Performance and Virtualization

64-bit versions of operating systems such as Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not automatically faster than their 32-bit counterparts. In some cases, they may even perform slower because of the larger pointers as well unrelated OS overhead. Overall, an application’s performance depends on what it is used for and how it is implemented. Emulated applications running within the Windows on Windows (WOW) 64 layer (discussed in more detail later in this article) will not be able to address any more memory than they could on a 32-bit system."

5. I had a much better time using 32-bit. After reformatting since last month, things have been much better, not a single blue screen, and well over the top performance.

My PC specs:


With the above processor and RAM mentioned, I do not need 64-bit, as I do not run some office apps or work apps that would ever require 64-bit OS. Games run smoothly with 32-bit and I do not need a #@%^ windows that is "said" to be faster yet dissapoints at every level (64 bit)

Yes, the difference is so much obvious that it triggered me to write a blog post about it. It's a personal testimony that I'm sure you could find others on the web as well.

No comments: